Friday, July 31, 2009

The Good The Bad The Ugly

"I've finally figured it out after 50 plus years of living. Guys aren't inherently bad. Women make us this way." - Kevin Dock

"No seriously Jay. We don't have one shining example of a marriage in our family that has lasted. Minus Kiki, and that only works cuz she went down to Paradise (lol)" - Kat

So while my computer is halfway frozen and not allowing my IM box to come up, I've got an issue to address with modern day America. Who the fuck lipo'd the word commitment? That word used to hold weight back in the day. Last statistic I've heard, this country has a 52 percent divorce rate. Fifty-two percent. Think of how many single-parent households that children are shuffling between on weekdays and weekends? How many are forced to become involved in the power struggles separated or divorced adults usually go through? I guess I feel like this because of the recent scare involving my brother and his own wife. While she recently changed her mind, and I'm thankful for it, I can't help but still feel a little bitter that divorce was even an option to consider. I feel that once your married with children, shit isn't about you anymore. Everyone is so focused on their own personal happiness they fail to recognize the sanctity that is marriage. Life long commitment. When your with someone, and you've chosen to reproduce with that person, and you have kids, your life isn't yours anymore. Once your a parent, your life is your children's. Your happiness should be derived from their successes. I know what it's like to grow up always wanting to please both parents but constantly thinking your falling short of that. And it was hard to think of my niece and nephews having to endure that same kind of life. I felt by pleasing my mother, i'd be disappointing my father and vice versa. And no amount of re-assurrement from either one of them could erase that thought from the back of my mind. It was always the little things. The snide remarks or comments and little gestures back and forth between them after the divorce that made me feel like that. Kids are perceptive. They take in everything and don't know how to handle it all. I just think that when I take on a wife and start a family, my children will be my life. Marriage is a serious thing. If you don't understand the gravity of it, fall back. Because by fucking that up, chances are, you won't just be affecting your life. I wish people were smarter...

No comments:

Post a Comment