Saturday, August 15, 2009

BX nah mean?

I used to love trips to Upstate New York. The majority of my mother's side of the family resided up there, so occassionally on weekends or for holidays, we'd make the trek up in her Beige cars. (She had two, a beige jetta and a beige sportage.) We'd cut through Manhattan and hop on the George Washington, then take the Palisades Parkway up to about exit 13. The funny thing I remember is on our way to reach the G-Dub, we'd rid on the outskirts of the city and to the right of the highway was this ridiculous landform. And I had no fucking idea what it was. I remember driving by it a couple of trips, pondering what the hell was across that murky water. So after maybe the 4th trip or so, I finally inquired with the vigor and interest only six years olds are capable of.

"Mommy..."
No response.
"Mommy...!"
No response.
"Mommy..."
"Honey I'm busy."

Which was understandable, as when driving in New York, niggas gotta have they focus.
So my attention would turn.

"... Safi." (my sister)
"Sup boo?"
"What's that?"
"What's what?"
"That over there" (I point out the window)
"The Bronx."
"Oh." (I stay silent for a few seconds)
"What's the Bronx?"
No response.
End of discussion.

Seriously. That's how it went. I can't even tell you why I remember this. But even knowing the name of the spot didn't take away from its mystery. I used to look for bridges out in the open that connected where we were to over there. And I never saw any. I used to just stare at it on our way up. It was my very first landmark outside of maybe the couple of blocks I used to live on in Cambria Heights.

So fast forward to roughly 3 weeks ago.
I'm headed out to the Bronx to meet the now-girlfriend.
She tells me to hop on the bus after I get off at 181st.
I do so, after a little bit of trouble figuring out where the hell I was headed.
And then I look out the window.
And I realize I'm crossing over to the damn land mass I used to stare at when I was younger.
And then I made the connection.

I mean, maybe this shouldn't really be considered significant. But I used to be captivated with it as a kid. And God forbid we hit traffic; I'd stare at it the whole time.

Maybe part of me knew the best thing that would happen to me lived over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment